Saturday, June 2, 2012

Worth and Value (The Anthem)

I recently decided it would be good to get away for a weekend spend time with God, relax, etc.  The weekend turned out differently than expected.  Instead of spending quality time with God and drawing closer to Him I was plagued with one of my worst nightmares; cave crickets.  I do not like bugs at all but cave crickets are at the bottom of the list and top of the fear list.  These things jump and climb and just basically terrorize me. 
I ended up coming home early because I was tired of dealing with this fear.  Once I arrived home I decided that I would do some research on this bug.  I felt this way I could better understand how to deal with this situation in the future.  A good majority of the cave cricket population lives in caves, is totally blind, and has no worth or value at all.  The last part stood out to me.  How could something God created, gross as it is, have no value?  God does not just create something without having a plan and purpose for it, so I have to believe even this creepy crawlie has some purpose (and it is not to terrorize people).  Even if that purpose is  just food for the bats.
Thankfully we are not bugs and God has created us for a purpose, even if we do not feel like it at times. There are many of God's creatures that live most of their lives before fulfilling God's plan and purpose for them.  One example that I am aware of is a caterpillar in the Arctic.  This bug endures 14 years of harsh conditions even being frozen alive in the winter before it fulfills it's destiny to become a moth.  The caterpillar  remains persistent in becoming what God created it to be.  There is also a bird in the same region that attempts to fly for three weeks before it finally takes off and soars in the sky. It too remains persistent in order to realize it's potential.  Imagine if the caterpillar and the bird gave up.  The bird may say after a few days of trying to fly that it was not working, he would never be able to fly he should just throw in the towel and learn to do something else.  The moth may decide that he is tired of being frozen alive and tired of being cold so he too will give up on the plan to become a moth.  If both gave up and did not endure and remain persistent then neither would become with God had created them to be.  The bird would never fly and the caterpillar would never become a moth.

Let us not give up or grow weary in becoming all that God has created us to be.  Run the race with perseverance and endurance that you will become all that God has created you to be. Do not loose sight of the goal and plans that He has for you, even if you see nothing happening.  Hebrews 10:35-36 states the following:  So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.  You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God you will receive what he has promised.

I love the words to Jake Hamiliton's song The Anthem.  The chorus states I am royalty, I have destiny, I have been set free, I'm gonna shape history.  That is true of all of us.  We are royalty, we have destiny, we have been set free, and we are going to shape history.  Do not lose sight of God's plan for you, do not give up.  Press on!  Like Esther we are born for a such a time as this!  Hallelujah.




Just in case you were wondering what a cave cricket looked like!  I shiver just looking at the picture.  So thankful for exterminators!

No comments:

Post a Comment